Monday, December 29, 2014

The Best Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls

My early impression of homemade cinnamon rolls was that they were dry, heavy, and always a bit overdone. Needless to say, I wasn't a fan of them early on. 
But, as time passed and I grew up, I decided to try making cinnamon rolls myself. I made a batch and I instantly fell in love with this sweet treat.
When I started eating gluten free, a good cinnamon roll recipe was a must. I was lucky to find this great recipe pretty early on, and I have made it at least a dozen times since. 








The Best Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls

  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 2/3 Cup of warm Milk
  • 1 Tablespoon Yeast
  • 1 Egg (or 3 Tablespoons hot Water mixed with 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal)
  • 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 Cup Potato Starch
  • 1 Cup Corn Starch
  • 2 1/2 Teaspoons Xantham Gum
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Filling:
Brown sugar
Cinnamon

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the butter and sugar. 
  3. Heat your milk, not too hot but warm enough to activate yeast, and add in the yeast. Whisk together until dissolved. 
  4. Add the milk/yeast mixture to the sugar and stir together. Add the egg (or flaxegg), oil and vanilla, and mix again. 
  5. Add all of the dry ingredients and mix well to combine, removing all lumps (expect the dough to be pretty soft).
  6. Sprinkle a big sheet of plastic wrap with sugar and plop dough out onto it. Add a second layer of plastic wrap and roll dough out between them, making roughly a 13" by 13" square.
  7. Remove top layer of wrap and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over dough. Then, lifting up an edge of the plastic wrap to help you, roll the dough. Cut with a knife and place in a greased pan (I usually bake mine in a 9x13 and they all fit).
  8. Bake for about 20 minutes (until tops are lightly browned), and frost when slightly cooled. Enjoy.

TIPS: Make sure that you measure the ingredients exactly right. There have been a few times when I was off, and these turned out a bit messy (but still tasty). Stir the dough long enough, too, and you should come out with the perfect cinnamon rolls.

Recipe found here and here.


-Bethany

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays Party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I can't wait to see what you share next time!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete